Lower Backache Solutions
Roughly 80% of adults experience persistent lower back pain at some point in their lives. As many as 31 million Americans struggle with back pain caused by injury or unknown causes. Back pain is considered the leading cause of disability in the world according to the American Chiropractic Association. Thousands of American workers suffer from back pain every year.
Low back pain can be excruciating or dull and achy depending on the cause. There are many causes of back pain: Family history, tobacco use, being overweight or obese, being female, anxiety or depression, and too much activity after being sedentary, and surprisingly, just being sedentary.
Poor posture is certainly another cause and it takes time to correct. Scoliosis and other types of back abnormalities are a major cause. Middle-aged and older adults are most likely to develop severe symptoms. They can benefit from chiropractic care, soft tissue therapy, and regular exercise geared towards their age group.
Supplements can reduce inflammation which is always present with back pain. Here’s a list of supplements that reduce inflammation and pain:
- Fish oil, 2000 mg daily.
- Turmeric, 1000 mg daily. This reduces pain and inflammation.
- Proteolytic enzymes such as bromelain and papain (500 mg 3 x daily).
- MSM, 2000-8000 mg daily. It’s an anti-inflammatory and helps to rebuild cartilage. Can reduce muscle spasms.
- Magnesium, 400-500 mg daily, helps to relax muscles.
- Essential oils, Peppermint and wintergreen. Excellent analgesics. Help cool inflamed joints.
- Capsaicin cream. Can be applied to skin to relieve pain and inflammation.
Back surgery is a last resort and even this has been proven to be ineffective in relieving back pain. Try the natural way first. Failed back surgery is very common. Try chiropractic care first. It works.